Thursday, August 21, 2014

Giver of Strength

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." Oh, how much easier said than done.

Tomorrow morning, my best friend starts a new adventure at Covenant College. I can't believe that it's already here. I've only known her for two years but it feels like so much longer than that. I have so many great memories from those two years, memories where we laughed until we cried, cried until we laughed, and everything else. I will miss her terribly, her hugs every Sunday morning, her listening ear whenever I needed to talk, and her encouragement, always pointing me back to the Gospel. Yet God has plans for the both of us individually this year, and I can't wait to see what they are.

Youth group kicked off last Sunday night with a whole new crowd of junior highers. Crazy to think I'm one of the upper classmen, one of the 'big kids' that everyone looks up to. It's so different now than what it used to be. It's going to take a while to get used to it. It's all good, exciting stuff, but still, it'll take some time to get used to.

On Monday, I had orientation for BUAC, the new homeschool thing I'm doing this year. It was nice to have it the day before classes started because it took some of the nervousness away, but it hit me on the way up there that I was starting school the next morning at a completely new place. So on Tuesday, we drove up and school began. Even though it was a little bit overwhelming, all new people, new classes, new way of doing things, I still loved it. 

Quite a few other things have yet to start this fall, but thinking about all of the change taking place, I just felt like I was going to collapse under the weight of it all. Yes, all of it is good change in some way, and yes, I will get used to it eventually, but it just really hit me this week how much is really changing. There's not much that's staying the same. As I've said before, I really have a hard time with change. My momma told me once that she tries not to change things for my sake, especially if it's part of a routine.

But then a few days ago, I ran across this verse:

 The Lord stood with me
and gave me strength.
//2 Timothy 4:17

I love this mental picture. I see myself with tears streaming down my face, absolutely not having it all together, and generally just a mess. But then I see God lifting me back up again, wiping the tears from my face and whispering, "It's going to be okay. It really is. I will stand with you, I am always standing with you. I will be right here by your side the whole time, giving you strength to get through it." What a beautiful picture. It just lifts my heart and gives me peace, reminding me that no matter what happens, he is always there. Never changing. Hallelujah, what a Savior.





2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful Ellie! I totally understand the change thing; I just started at the University of Pittsburgh and everything is new and exciting yet scary and overwhelming at the same time. Saying hello to new people is just as hard as saying goodbye to my friends and family. But God is good and He has great things planned for us both! I'm so excited to see what He does in your life this year and I'll definitely be keeping up with your blog:) You are awesome Ellie! <3

    ReplyDelete